Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A proud day.

My younger sister is 26 but autistic. She goes to ARC during the week and they keep her occupied "working" at the senior center & stuffing envelopes for the hospital. She doenst really get a paycheck for it since its a service for her.

Yesterday she calles me. This is the first time she has ever called me. Since it came up as Mom & Dad and I was at the Dr I just let it go to voice mail. I almost got hit by a car when I listened to it. She sounded so excited and was talking very fast, another unusual thing for her. I really wish I had kept that voice mail but I wasnt really thinking and just deleted it.

Anyway, she had called to tell me that SHE GOT A JOB!!!

She is going to be a housekeeper at a hotel & conference center in her home town. A few months ago she participated in an experimental program that taught her the basics of hotel housekeeping and setting up/tearing down conferences and thats what helped open up this door.

I am so proud of her. She went on the interview, even though the hotel people basically knew that they were going to hire her, and was able to answer all their questions with only a little help. They said they were very impressed with her and were excited to have her there. I think I am going to send her some flowers. I think she would like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment